Philmont Scout Ranch
47 Caballo Rd, Cimarron, NM 87714
OA Trail Crew Program
Note – Registration is open for the 2024 season and pricing is now confirmed.
The Order of the Arrow is offering you an opportunity to join other Arrowmen in cheerful service and the formation of lasting brotherhood on the trails of Philmont Scout Ranch. Under the direction of the Philmont Conservation Department, experienced Philmont staff members with strong Order of the Arrow backgrounds will lead participants on a two-week trail crew and trek.
The program is a fourteen-day experience. The first week focuses on trail construction and maintenance under the guidance of Philmont trail crew foremen. The second week is a seven-day backpacking trek that is designed by the participants. The program is not simply building trail and hiking as it is ultimately a journey that challenges Scouts mentally, physically, and spiritually.
Trail building is tough. The worksite experience is full of long and strenuous days requiring a great deal of physical effort. Participants are expected to work with great diligence as the trail that is being built is designed to last over 75 years and protect the beautiful landscape of Philmont Scout Ranch. Other than trail-building techniques, Scouts will strengthen their leadership skills, learn advanced wilderness and low-impact camping skills, observe and participate in group wilderness safety, and experience motivation activities while also receiving special OA instruction. The program’s mission is to maintain, reinforce, and enhance the purpose of the Order of the Arrow by using Scouting camping traditions. Participants are expected to use their experience to benefit their troop, chapter, lodge, and council programs.
Cost: $450 per participant - Travel to and from Philmont is not included in the fee however, an airport shuttle to/from ABQ, DEN, or COS is provided by Philmont for an additional fee ($250 for 2023, 2024 price is yet to be set). Participants who fly should plan to arrive the day before their program begins and depart on the final day. Please do not book travel until you receive your participant packet. The Order of the Arrow is not responsible for costs associated with travel or changes.
OA Trail Crew Requirements
- Be a registered member of both the Boy Scouts of America and a local Order of the Arrow lodge.
- Be at least 16 years old the day the program begins and not yet 21 by the time it ends.
- Be physically fit, able to lift and handle materials up to 50 pounds (Philmont height and weight guidelines will be strictly enforced).
- Complete a BSA Annual Health and Medical Record.
- To comply with the BSA Youth Protection requirements, each session must have a minimum of two participants from the same gender attend. Individual youth participants may register without a buddy of the same gender, however, if no other youth participants of the same gender register, your session date may need to change or be canceled to comply with YPT.
There are no exceptions to these rules. Selection for the Trail Crew program is both an honor and a privilege.
Scouts from the same unit are welcome to attend the same session.
$25 of your deposit is nonrefundable. After your approval, your entire deposit is nonrefundable.
Participants will receive an email when their registration is submitted and a second email when the application has been approved by the Lodge and Council. These emails are automated and may be flagged as junk/spam. Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your safe sender list and check your junk folder if you do not see the emails.